What is the Chi Machine?
The Eastern sense of the word “chi” means energy, or life force energy. The unusual Chi Machine is a passive aerobics stimulator, developed by Dr. Shizuo Inoue, Chairman of Japan's Oxygen Health Association. Dr. Inoue believed that a lack of oxygen and poor circulation were the cause of many chronic diseases. Dr. Inoue, who has spent decades researching the relationship between oxygen levels in the body and the quality of human health, got his idea by watching goldfish swimming. Engineers took his basic concept and designed the Chi Machine. ® "The pattern of motion the machine generates in the human body uses minimum effort and achieves maximum results," says Dr. Inoue. "It improves the basic metabolism of the body, increases our energy, adds flexibility to our lives and improves our attitude. It can also increase our sense of awareness, balancing the mind/body connection."
Unlike many forms of exercise, it is easy to experience its benefits; you simply lie there. The machine provides excellent results without stress or injury. No one is too out of shape or too in shape to benefit. Twenty minutes on the Chi Machine is like 10,000 steps or walking for 90 minutes when looking at oxygenation of tissues. When we refer to ‘passive aerobics’, we are referring to the circulation and oxygenation effects of the body.
The Chi Machine ® passive aerobics session stimulates an exclusive body response through gentle "figure 8" oscillations with the body helping to:
• Counteract the effects of stress by rapidly inducing a deep state of relaxation
• The gentle wave-like movement of the spine relaxes the muscles of the back, improving flexibility and movement while relieving pain.
• Promote blood cell production, blood circulation and tissue oxygenation.
• Relax muscles locally
• Relieve vertebra joint pressure
• Promote a sense of well being
• Enhance lymphatic drainage
• Enhance detoxification
• Improve immune system function
• Massage abdominal organs to aid in digestion
• Stimulate the flow of “Chi” energy throughout the body
• Improve athletic recovery times, or speed recovery post workout
• The perfect synergy to use before a FAR IR Sauna session, after a Whole Body vibration session or before/after yoga for centering and other synergistic effects
Your Experience Awaits!
Upgrade your Chi Service by following with the FAR-IR Sauna or as a ‘cool down and relax’ from your Flex 151 session
What to expect and How it works
Our clients joke it is like swimming on land! The gentle, repetitive oscillation of the Chi Machine is non-jarring and very passive. Nothing to be nervous about! The specific movement pace and travel creates relaxation, helping to change Beta brainwaves to a relaxed Alpha brainwave state, enhanced by the precise figure of eight motion the machine generates. It is this 144 side to side motions per minute programming that is actually stimulating a lateral flexion in the spine, activating the sympathetic nervous system to calm down, which then allows the tiny tubes in the lungs known as bronchi and alveoli to expand, thus driving more oxygen between lungs and circulatory system. This is what is allowing the oxygenation to occur. When we walk, we are really only moving forward and backward. The chi machine, conversely, is moving us side to side creating the action through vertebral movement. Ok, propeller hat off nowJ
At Livewell, we are always ‘upgrading’ things, so you will additionally experience your chi machine session while lying on a FAR Infrared (FIR) Heating pad specially designed by the Chi Machine manufacturer. Far IR heat is actually a form of light and the results of FIR are phenomenal. Heat therapy can enhance the immune system, increase blood flow and oxygenation, relieve minor aches and pains and help to eliminate toxins. The heating pad helps to warm along the spine and increase circulation through increased capillary action; basically, helping to drive blood flow and thus increasing oxygenation. See a recent blog on the effects of FAR IR heat here…..INSERT SAUNA LINK). Due to the effects of meditation and the chi machines help with shifting our brain state, we pair your Chi Machine Service with an selection of our tranquil mediation music or even binaural beats. These facilitate a quicker brainwave shift to allow relaxation to occur. This trifecta combination allows a deep state of relaxation to occur as the body quickly unloads pressure and moves from our normal sympathetic nervous system state, or fight or flight response most Americans are perpetually in….to a parasympathetic relaxation state where true restoration can occur.
All this happens quickly with our unique combination approach of the Chi Machines gentle undulating motion, the red light tinted room, the Far IR heating pad and the binaural mediation sounds and music in your ears. A 20 minute session leaves you refreshed an ready to tackle the day! Test us in this. Yu will be amazed at how good you feel after.
Things to consider to be ready for your session:
• Drink a glass of water prior and after your session. Many of your benefits come from the lymphatic stimulation, which releases toxins. Staying hydrated helps facilitate these toxins out of the system.
• Don’t get up quickly after a session. Roll to your side and ‘come to’ for a few minutes. You will likely feel a slight tingling sensation in your extremities and a little euphoria. Enjoy this feeling; it is the best part! We call it the “Chi Rush”!
• Let yourself go! Quit thinking and just be. This helps you get more out of your session. You have the rest of your day to be stressed out.
• Regular street clothes are fine. You will simply remove your shoes. We have a specially designed pad to cushion your ankles and bolsters for under your knees if you suffer from knee pain. Risk of injury is very low as you are simply lying flat on your back and not actively engaging any part of your fully supported body. Heart rate and resting blood pressure will not increase.
• It is better to start slowly and work up your time due to the rapid detoxification that can occur if you haven’t; been exercising. All it takes is 4-6 minutes once or twice daily, slowly working up to 15-20 minutes max per session.