Whole Body Vibration, or WBV trains and conditions your body through acceleration, not mass, in order to improve fitness and health. You probably learned Newton’s Second Law of Motion in high school:
Force = Mass x Acceleration.
WBV consists of sitting or standing on a platform that vibrates in a way designed to stimulate your hormonal, cardiovascular, lymphatic, and nervous systems simultaneously. In other words, WBV challenges your body’s innate stability response by working your proprioceptors. This system controls balance and equilibrium. As the machine vibrates, it transmits energy to your body, forcing your muscles to contract and relax dozens of times each second by inciting a stretch reflex in the muscles known as the “Tonic Vibratory Reflex” (the same involuntary reflex that initiates when your doctor causes you knee to jerk) . The activity may cause you to feel as if you're exerting yourself, and you can use it to get the lymphatic, oxygenation and circulatory benefits of hours of walking, or you can perform some simple movements to get actual exercise that enhances quality of muscle, regardless of age or fitness level. It is not only a localized muscular effect however. The brain does not know which part of the muscle spindle to use, so it flexes and releases the entire muscle at once, which is why WBV can achieve the conventional exercise equivalent of 60 minutes!
See some examples of how it can fit into a well rounded program:
· Having a hard time hitting your 10,000 steps per day? Let WBV help you increase that movement.
· Need help with warming up the body and stimulating your lymphatic system?
· Like the idea of increasing your energy, boosting neurotransmitters and need a mood ‘elevator’ to brighten your day? WBV can help.
· Not interested in Flex 151 or yoga? WBV can be a very good ease into a fitness routine, where it will help your mobility, balance, and bone mineral density. It takes no skill, exercises are easy, and consistent use can build vitality.
- Boosts muscle strength, flexibility, balance/equilibrium, endurance and gait
- Reduce soreness and pain and contributes to a faster recovery after an intense workout
- Improved core stability
- Improvement in blood circulation
- Increased lymphatic drainage (lymph doesn’t move through a pump so has to be stimulated through muscular work)
- Can yield smoother skin through increased circulation and more youthful and glowing appearance
- Improved range of motion through dynamic movements and localized stretching. Vibration enhances stretching!
- Decreased cellulite and visceral fat around the belly
- Decreased workout time
- Reduce stress through cortisol lowering effect
- Improve digestion and speed up metabolism
- Improve bone mineral density
- Increase endorphins, mood and increase energy immediately through the powerful and fast oxygenation of cellular tissues
- Improve sleep